This will depend on a number of combined factors:
- The balance of your mission between social and commercial goals.
- Your own need for control over strategy and decision making.
- The extent to which you care about owning a share in the venture.
- Your need for equity investment.
- Your need for grants and donations.
- The ethos and values of your new venture in terms of participation.
How to Register a new Business
The Companies House website is a good resource for finding out about how you register your new business (CICs are still registered through Companies House), how to appoint directors and how to file returns and accounts to HM Customs and Revenue.
How to Register a new Charity
Go to the Charities Commission website to find full details of how to register as a charity. An industrial and provident society business must be registered with the Financial Services Authority.